Carla Linkous Maxwell

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

I'm in Business! (Small business, that is.)

As my Mississippi Delta house (The Holy Moly) becomes a home, I'm starting a new home-based business -- an ice cream shop/espresso coffee & snack bar -- at the corner of Third & Issaquena in downtown Clarksdale.


My husband and I are launching this small business slowly (as there are only two of us running it), while we continue with the revitalisation of our old masonic temple building.  

Along with the ice cream/coffee shop, which we call The Holy Moly Drug Store, we are converting the masonic temple meeting room into a theatre.  We hope to host entertainment/events which we create by combining live music, story telling, and film.  Hopefully, those events will begin and end in The Holy Moly Drug Store.

Along with all that, my husband and I are working on my "Petition for Alien Relative" and his "Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status," with the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services.  We are hoping that a green card will be awarded soon and that we will have no worries about being allowed to be where we want to be, when we want to be either in the U.S.A. or in Australia.  We have family, friends, and lives in both places.  

I'm feeling exhausted from jumping through many hoops  -- dealing with sales tax filings and banking, health department regulations, city permits, immigration applications -- and from counting blessings when what I really want to do is scream or give up on trying to accomplish the latest requirements for this complicated life we have chosen.  

I'm tired.  I'm frustrated.  I'm bored, artistically and musically.  

I'm thankful for opportunities.  I'm thankful for progress from processes that make sense.  I'm thankful for people who encourage and provide support.  I'm thankful for the art and music that is so close to home, whether I'm on this continent or that one.  

I'm thankful for friends & family and for the silliest things that happen in this world.  Yesterday I received a "butt text," which of course did not make sense, but…..the real text exchange that followed from the butt-texter brightened my evening, as I was reminded that I have been blessed with many, many, friends, with whom I may keep in touch simply with a few keystrokes or pressed buttons, on a variety of devices…..even via today's inadvertent butt-texting.

A device is nice for planning gatherings, capturing events with photography, and for sharing the memories.  However, as I think about the work and projects to come related to The Holy Moly, I focus on the real-life interactions that I need and want.  

I pray that what is yet-to-be at The Holy Moly is good and inspires more good.  






No comments:

Post a Comment