Carla Linkous Maxwell

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

I am Thankful. I Want to Whinge.

Adrian and I have been to Australia and back, since my last blog post.  By making that statement, I remind myself what a blessing it was and what a beautiful time we had visiting dear friends, enjoying family activities, taking long road trips and seeing beautiful sights. On this return to Australia, we didn't step right back in to our regular jobs of full-time housekeeping and property management at Tasma House and Gardens in Daylesford. For a month, we experienced Australia in a different way, with a lot of freedom to do what we wanted.  It was wonderful!

Tathra Wharf, New South Wales
May 2015

Yes, The Holy Moly business cards arrived a few months ago.

Unfortunately, there has been a delay in beginning to build a theatre business upstairs at The Holy Moly.  Things move very slowly here in the Mississippi Delta.

For the past six months, I have been torn between wanting to whinge about how awful it is to run a small business and wanting to thank the Universe for the opportunity to run a small business (The Holy Moly Drug Store, L.L.C.).

Publicly, I have kept my mouth shut regarding awful feelings and feelings of thankfulness.  My husband, Adrian, has heard plenty of my whinging, however, and not enough of my thankfulness, I reckon.

I took a couple of photos of my downtown Clarksdale neighbourhood today.  The view from my front door is depressing.  It is the opposite of what I view from my front door in Australia.

The view across the street.
Clarksdale, Mississippi
July 2015
However, when I walk across the street from my home in Clarksdale and turn my back on the ugliness across the street to view my own home and business, my heart fills with love for The Holy Moly and hope for continued progress in the building (and community) -- including The Holy Moly Drug Store, which is now a full-on fast-food restaurant that Adrian and I operate, serving all kinds of people a variety of meals, ice cream desserts, espresso, beer, and soda, every day except when it is closed on Mondays.

The Holy Moly and The Holy Moly Drug Store
as of July 7, 2015
This is why I have so many mixed emotions.

Sometimes I hate inventing/innovating.  Sometimes I love it.  Sometimes I think it will kill me.  Sometimes I am excited about creating a new business.  Sometimes I want to run away from it.  Most of the time it feels like it's way too much trouble and way too much effort because of the financial obligations/tax filings, employer responsibilities, and other things that I have no interest in learning (although I have to learn these things).  

I would rather be baking for family & friends for fun, playing music and singing, or painting and drawing, or entertaining people with a house concert…..in Australia……and here in America….

This my collage of cartoon drawings of Table Hill.

This is a cartoon selfie.












No comments:

Post a Comment