Carla Linkous Maxwell

Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Piano Improvisation on Video

I did a bit of my piano practice/improvisation aka "marching" and filmed it today.  It took a few tries to get comfortable with the camera angle and its presence.  Then I decided to use today's music in an iMovie and added it to one of my "works in progress."

This is my own form of music therapy.  I play what feels right at the time...making up the music as I go.  Sometimes the music stays in my head for a day or two after I play it.  I guess I am embedding the chords and rhythms in my mind as I reflect and listen to what I have already played.  I guess that's why I hear familiar structure in this unstructured playing that I do.  My piano skills are very limited, as I am teaching myself....and no matter what I might sit down to play, it always seems like I return to the "marching" sounds.

I find it interesting to watch my own music making.  Today is the first time I have filmed myself playing the piano.  I'm not happy with the position of my arms nor the tension I saw in my hands, but now that I am aware of these things....maybe I can relax a bit more when I play and correct the problems.




No comments:

Post a Comment