Carla Linkous Maxwell

Sunday, December 4, 2011

New News About Table Hill in Lyonville!

Table Hill played earlier today at the Radio Springs Hotel in Lyonville, Victoria, Australia.  There was a full-house!  All ages included.  I always appreciate the chance to play music, and sometimes sing, with a mountain dulcimer.  I like it when people like the music of Table Hill, of course.  Although, at times, I am surprised by kind comments when the music critic in my head is giving me grief.  That happened today, as I had some internal conflict about what I wanted to play and what I was actually playing.  Nevertheless, people seemed to and said that they did enjoy the music.

I only recorded two tunes today.  My recording reflexes were not working well.  So I gave up and tried to enjoy the music of the moment without capturing it for my blog.  As I am writing this entry, I am uploading the two tunes to share.  The first is Midnight Special, and I did not get to the record button fast enough....so the recording sounds like it has a rushed start.  I guess this recording indicates the actual timing of when I realized what we were about to play and when  I decided that I might want to put the recorder on.  To tell the truth, sometimes I have a hard time keeping up with the moment-to-moment happenings during a gig.  This is my confession.  I am capable of reading music, but Table Hill is not about all that, and I think that's OK.  It's that internal music critic I mentioned earlier who has trouble with no notation.......or set list......or rehearsals.

Click here to hear Bob Dylan's song, "Tomorrow is a Long Time," performed by Table Hill in Lyonville.

In that recording, I hear myself hesitating as I listen to how I tried to decide on what to play, when not to play, when to play a full strum, when to flat-pick, when to play a bit of melody, when to just keep the beat.....not trying to play on top of anyone else's place in the performance.......or maybe try to play in unison with Adrian and/or Phil.  It was all decided on the spot, while we played.....and most-likely decided differently than the last time we played that tune together.  In today's performance I had moments when I was swept away with the playing and moments when I cringed and kept chording.....hoping that my cringe was not captured on a camera.

Click here to hear the traditional song, "Midnight Special," performed by Table Hill in Lyonville.

Same as above goes for this song.....I enjoyed the bits I got right and cringed and kept chording the parts I could figure out.

However the music is made, I consider that I am very blessed to have friends who let me keep coming back to make more of it.  And after all the music-making.....Adrian, Phil, and I were served delicious steaks with mushroom sauce. MMMMMmmmmmMMMMMmmmmmm!  So saucy and good.  With music, friends, and food.....Yes! I am blessed.

Here's a pic of what we looked like on the chalkboard today!




And here's a picture of the poster that was outside announcing the New Year's Eve party that includes the music of Table Hill.  This, of course, gave me a thrill.


For more about Table Hill, visit our website at www.TableHill.com.
For more about the Radio Springs Hotel, visit their website at www.RadioSpringsHotel.com.au.
To listen to more of my personal recordings of Table Hill in Lyonville, visit my other blog:  Carla Maxwell's Music Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment